Saturday, December 16, 2006

Generations of Yesterday

I have an insatiable curiosity about the generations before us. I want to know what it was like for them to travel across the country--to settle in a new place--and what their personalities were. I have worked on geneology for several years. It is a never-ending task because children grow up, marry, have children of their own, and the older generation dies.
In writing of the history of Peru, I talk to a lot of people about their grandparents and great grandparents to see if they were among the early settlers that helped form this community. I started with my classmates, the class of '59, to see how many settled in the early years of the town of Peru.
I have been quite surprised at what I am finding. James Sharp settled in Washington township in the 1840's --his descendent Becky Dawalt Powell. Samuel Phillabaum settled in Erie township. One of the early schools was built on his land--descendent Nancy Phillabaum McConnaughey. Michael Costin was known for his ability to move just about anything--his descendent Mary Costin. Della Donaldson McKee and Diana Donaldson's grandfather Fletcher was a blacksmith and their other grandfather Oscar Donaldson worked on one of the many railroads that came through Peru and also had a farm on 31 that no longer exists. My great-grandfather owned a flour mill that set on Bayless Street. I will keep searching !!

No comments: