Wednesday, March 15, 2006

HEROES

I have a great love for music--classical, rock, comtemporary, jazz, blues, and some country. Listening to Mariah Carey's "Hero" the other day made my mind wander to some of my heroes. My career in music was started at the early age of eight when I took piano lessons. Mrs. J.O. Miller was my piano teacher. Hour after hour was spent practicing scales which I hated. Mrs. Miller expected the best from her students. I remember the first recital I was in. I was so afraid that I would make a mistake, but much to my surprise, I remembered the piece and never made a mistake. When in Jr. High I picked up a clarinet and thus began my career in band. When I entered High School Mr. James Noble was my band director. He was just like Mrs. Miller, he expected you to do your best. I recall one day I was on the football field trying to learn marching techniques. Mr. Noble possessed a bullhorn and in his deep baritone voice came,"what's the matter Bonnie, do you have two left feet. After that, I was much more aware that I had one right foot and one left foot. How embarassing. Even though these two people made me practice, practice, and practice, I developed a real love for music. I can't imagine what life would be like with no music. These two people gave to me a real love for music. They are both gone now but I want them to know that they were my heroes. Do you have a hero?

No comments: