Thursday, March 16, 2006

Close Your Eyes


Let's take a peak back into time to the days when everything was a slower pace-- the days before internet, dvd players, mp3's and color television. When you close your eyes can you see your life back in the late 40's and early 50's? I grew up with black and white t.v. and everyone had t.v. towers next to their houses. I can remember the Sunday closing law where everything was closed on Sunday. You went to church with your family and in my case we drove in our family car on a quest to see our grandparents.

On the way out of town you would stop to get gas at the local gas station ---an attendant would pump your gas, check your oil, clean your windows, then to top it off you would get S&H green stamps, which you could redeem for nice merchandise.

Upon arriving at my grandparents farm, you could look out to the barnyard and see the hen houses. The chickens always scared me because I was afraid they would peck me. Also out in the barnyard was the famous "throne." The old outhouse stood there waiting for you. That is one thing I am glad is gone!

My grandparents are gone now but the memories of going to the farm will be with me always. The best part was their hugs and kisses and all the stories they would tell of a different generation. I miss that!!

No comments: