Thursday, April 06, 2006

Navy Base in Peru


Grissom A.F.B. was commissioned as a U.S. Naval Reserve Aviation on July 1, 1942. It was promoted to U.S. Naval Air Station one year later. It was used as a training base for Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard Pilots. The station existed only three years. It was closed and leased to the Bunker Hill Corp. as farmland until the Korean Conflict.

It would be different to see Navy men walking down the streets of Peru instead of Air Force today.

My mom said when I was quite young, some young ladies would put me in my stroller and walk downtown because the sailors couldn't resist stopping and looking at me with my cute curls and smile. That way, the young ladies could strike up a conversation with the sailors.

We have had in our family, a sailor aboard the Lexington, a sailor on the Enterprise and a grandson soon to be stationed in Spain. Thank God, for the young men and women who serve our country.

No comments: